The Calico Desert is a small alternate location in Stardew Valley. It contains The Oasis shop that sells Rhubarb Seeds, Starfruit Seeds, and Beet Seeds. The Coconut and Cactus Fruit may both be found scattered across the landscape.
The Sandfish as well as the scorpion carp may be caught in the pond northwest of the bus. Farther up from the pond is a high-level mine (skull cavern), which can be unlocked using the Skull Key. The Desert also hosts a merchant with a camel; this trader is stationed near The Oasis and offers many rare products, including The Butterfly Hutch. However, note that the merchant only barters for specific items and does not accept gold as payment.
Calico Desert is initially locked at the start of a new save file, and you must do a few things to unlock it.
- Unlock the Community Center. This happens within the first week of Spring of the First Year automatically.
- Unlock the Vault Room, this usually requires completing four bundles within the first two rooms.
- Complete the Vault Room Bundle. This involves donating four times for 2,500g, 5,000g, 10,000g, and 25,000g, which is 42,500g in total.
- If the player goes the Joja path, the Bus costs 40,000g to repair.
- If the player build the desert obelisk the player may teleport to the desert, the obelisk cost 1000000g, ten cactus fruit, ten coconuts and 15 iridium bars.
Once this is done, during the night the bus at the Bus Stop by your farm will be fixed. Pam will be the bus driver, and the player may buy a ticket for 500g to go to Calico Desert.
Pam is the only person who can drive the bus to the Desert, which operates from 9:00AM-5:00PM daily. The player can remain at the destination past 5:00PM, however. If the player returns from the Desert during the evening, Marnie can be seen driving the bus home, presumably since Pam is at the The Stardrop Saloon.