Chickens can be purchased from Marnie's Ranch for 800G, and stored in a coop. You will select which coop to place them in, and then name them. When you get them, they will be baby chicks, not yet old enough to produce meat or eggs. It takes about 5 days for them to mature into hens.
Notice : The chickens will not leave the coop on rainy days or winter, even with the door open.
Care: You can right click your chickens once a day to give affection, and again to check their status.
Feeding: You can place 4 pieces of Hay in the coop to feed the chickens, pick up hay from top left and place it in the feeding station to the right.
Color: There are 3 different colors of Chickens in Stardew Valley, White Chickens, Brown Chickens, and Blue Chickens. All Chickens produce eggs, and are worth the same; just the color varies.
- If you maintain a large enough patch of grass around the coop it will grow faster than the chickens can eat/trample it (Grass Starters can be purchased from Pierre's shop). It effectively keeps them self-fed through sunny non-Winter days.
- Every plot of grass or hay disappears after being eaten from twice.
- To breed chickens out of your eggs you need a level 2 coop - it isn't possible to breed eggs in a level 1 coop.
- Right click on a chicken every day to show affection (this will make Marnie happier with you)
- Chickens will not die if they are not fed, but become unhappy. Their relationship with you will lower.