Marriage is a feature in Stardew Valley. There are six eligible bachelors and six eligible bachelorettes. Same-sex marriage is available.
To marry someone, you will need to raise their friendship level to 10, as well as have given them a bouquet (which can be bought at Pierre's store). You must acquire a Mermaid Pendant from the Old Mariner. Your house has to be upgraded at least once before he'll let you purchase it. You can then give the pendant to the person you desire and they will prepare the wedding, asking for three days to do so.
When you marry, your spouse will move in with you, say new things, and help you out on the farm. Each marriage candidate has some unique dialogue, so your experience will be slightly different depending on who you marry. Also, some spouses who have important jobs will continue to go into town and work after marriage.
Your spouse will also lose their gift limit and gain two more hearts. If you get your spouse up to 13 hearts (one heart higher than the limit), they have a chance to give you a Stardrop.
Spouses can help with farm chores such as:
- Watering crops
- Feeding livestock
- Making breakfast and dinner
- Repairing fences
One breakfast is Pancakes, which gives you a +2 buff to Foraging for 12 minutes. Different breakfasts could be created in the future.
However, spouses can become unhappy if not treated well, which will result in undesirable actions, such as laying in bed all day and saying irritating things. If your spouse is happy, they may give birth to a child.
Your spouse may also become irritable whilst walking through a house that has too many decorations, indicating that their walking pattern is being blocked.
Spousal happiness and behavior is presently erratic. There were probably attempts to make each different based on personalities and may still have yet to be finalized. All the player can do presently is talk to them until you reach a kiss/embrace motion each day. You may be able to talk to them more later in the day but the embrace/kiss gesture only generates one heart a day, implying the player has made their spouse happy.
When your partner is happy, you may have children with them.
- If you are in an opposite-sex couple, your partner might ask you if you want to have children. If you say yes, you will have a child 14 days later.
- If you are in a same-sex couple, your partner might ask you if you want to adopt a child. If you say yes, a baby will arrive in the middle of the night 14 days later.
- You must have a farmhouse upgraded at least twice (this is when your house gets a crib) before your partner might suggest having children.
- Refusing to have children doesn't affect the relationship in any way. (Unconfirmed)
- You can change children into doves permanently using the Dark Shrine of Selfishness at the Witch's Hut, in exchange for a prismatic shard.
After getting married, you may divorce your partner for 50,000g at Mayor Lewis's house. This action may be cancelled before 10 PM (when Lewis locks his door). After divorce, your partner's "title" will now say (ex). You cannot marry this person again, unless you make them forget they ever were married to you, using the Dark Shrine of Memory which is found in the Witch's Hut. If you have any children, they will stay with you at the farmhouse.
When you give another bachelor or bachelorette a gift, your current partner may get jealous. They will ask questions about what you were doing, and they will become unhappy. (Unconfirmed)