ConcernedApe answered a few questions asked by the community. This article is a compilation of these questions and answers. Content is gathered from the official forums and the Steam Greenlight discussions.
- Q: Any possibility of native Linux support
- A: I haven't looked into it yet, but after the game is out I promise I will see about it, and if it's not too difficult I will do it. I like linux and I would feel good supporting those who use it.
- Q: [...] why does it (the game) feel SO console-y. In my opinion you could use the given opportunities which come with a mouse and a keyboard [...]
- A: I'm actually currently in the process of shifting the controls over to a mouse-centered (and hopefully much more intuitive and PC-ish) system. For example, to sow seeds you select the seeds in your toolbar and then click them onto the ground with your mouse. I've also completely redesigned the menu system, and I think It's turned out a lot better than the original. In short, I totally agree with you and you can be sure that the final game will look and feel a lot different than some of the current vids/screenshots.
- Q: Festivals?
- A: Festivals will be in the game.
- Q: I'm already glad that I'll be able to play a girl, but will there be any possibility of girl/girl or boy/boy relationships in the game, or can you only woo/marry the opposite sex?
- A: Yep, same-sex dating/marriage is absolutely supported in Stardew Valley. Woo and marry whomever you like!
- Q: Is there any real difference between WHO you marry? Does the person you marry change the game play differently from others you could marry?
- A: I don't think so. It seems like they all help around the farm equally. What they talk about is different but I don't see much difference between them. I could be wrong however.
- Q: Is there an "ending" at which point it's Game Over?
- A: Currently there is an evaluation event after 2 years to determine whether you've earned the title of "Stardew Hero". It's not really that important, though... you get to keep playing as long as you want afterward. I would love to keep adding more and more content with time. It's definitely my plan if SV ends up being a success! I am already moving the game towards an "endless" system (e.g. dynamic personalities/schedules for the townspeople), and it will only become more like that in the future. There are so many possibilities!
- Q: It sounds awesome, but... 2 years to do what we have to do?
- A: The game goes on forever after the first 2 years have been played, the 2 year mark is only relevant to winning the title of Stardew Hero. You could just ignore the Stardew Hero challenge if you chose to, and play forever. Also, the game will be different each time you play through it (based on the gender you choose, whom you befriend, where you spend your leveling up points etc) because I wanted to encourage replay-ability.
- Q: Will torches be able to removed by hand too, or just pickaxe?
- A: Torches will probably be removable by hand.
- Q: Are Farming, Mining, Luck, etc, skills or stats modified by the equipment worn?
- A: I am still in the process of figuring out the exact details of the accessories system, but yes they will improve your stats in some way. The main thing I am trying to avoid, though, is having players feel like they always need to change their outfit based on whatever task they are doing. I always find that annoying in games.
- Q: One thing I didn't like about HM was that after you got married in most HM games, your spouse (and future kid) did absolutely nothing to help with the farm, and they just stayed in the house 24/7. Is it like that in this game too??
- A: Yeah, your spouse will help you out around the farm and may also go into town to visit or shop. They will also go outside on the farm to take a walk or just enjoy the nice weather.
- Q:Is there a option to customize your character or is it default sets of male and female?
- A: Right now you can customize the color of your clothes, hair, eyes, and skin. There will probably also be some slight character specialization (similar to birth signs in the Elder Scrolls).
- Q: It seems like we would be able to manage our plot of land as we wish, but will it be possible to alter the other areas as well? Like the town itself.
- A: The layout of the town is set, but as of now you can place down craftables on any of the maps (that might change before release). NPC's may destroy any items placed in their path, but you can easily build around that. Also, I might have customization of colors for some buildings on the farm, but no promises for the initial release.
- Q: How do you marry, I know who you can, but how, maybe a ring?
- A: On a rainy day, you'll find a man on the eastern part of the beach... He can help you.
Q: What do the Shrines do in game? I noticed a few around. +2
A: The shrines are the set locations of where you will end up when using a Totem.
- Q: Will there be graphic settings? Like resolution etc.?
- A: There will most likely be resolution settings as well as other options.
- Q: could you make sure that the game has a windowed mode?
- A: The game does have a windowed mode, yes.
- Q: there any chance of a german version? Or can we modify the language pack by ourself?
- A: when the game is fully released you'll have access to most of the text to create a german version if you want. I speak some german myself so I might be able to eventually create a "full" german translation but It all depends on how the game does after release!
- Q: Soooo how much?
- A: It'll be $15 and released 26th of February.